[Starlingx-discuss] DRAFT release policy

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 02:29:29 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 6:39 PM Seiler, Glenn
<glenn.seiler at windriver.com> wrote:
> 1-     We need to move away from time-based releases
> 2-     We need to do twice a year releases.  This stmt, by definition, implies a time-gated release. Maybe it isn’t a specific date, but it is still time-gated.

The wording does need work, yes. After a short conversation with Bruce
this afternoon (Bruce, correct me if I'm wrong here) I came away with
the intention being more of increasing the lag from OpenStack releases
rather than separating completely from the OpenStack release cycle
which is likely to stay at approx 6 months for a while (that's a
rabbit hole under the bike shed I'd like to avoid just now).

> As a nascent project, I think we need to show gradual and consistent progress.

++

> I did listen to much of the release team meeting today, and realize the trade-offs between big-rocks and timing are very difficult.
>
> Given the difficult choice of functionality versus timing, I personally think we need to show progress in getting to Stein and a container based distribution as major milestones in 1H and perhaps defer the Distributed Cloud capability to a 2H release.
>
> I don’t see anything intrinsically wrong with moving a specific date out; it happens all the time. But I also think a release should have some gate; i.e. we don’t move out of 1H. And if some functionality isn’t ready, then we move the functionality to another release in 2H.

We took a stab at estimating and missed, making adjustments now is
normal and to be expected.

I agree with considering pushing distcloud to the next release because
it is a) new functionality, and b) devs overlap with the container
work and I think making the k8s infrastructure rock solid is much more
important.  If we are too far off with system stability the
ramifications will be harder to overcome than delaying a new feature.

> Anyway, that would be my vote, if I have one.

You totally have a voice as part of the community, I would like to
hear from more folks here...

dt

--
Dean Troyer