[Starlingx-discuss] Diagnostic metrics of a healthy StarlingX system.

Hu, Yong yong.hu at intel.com
Wed May 15 00:40:25 UTC 2019

Erich,
I like this idea! Regarding the tech approach,  one of options could be to use tools from the community.
For example, Prometheus (https://prometheus.io) looks useful for K8S monitoring.

-Yong

On 15/05/2019, 8:18 AM, "Cordoba Malibran, Erich" <erich.cordoba.malibran at intel.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    After some time debugging issues in StarlingX I think it would be
    helpful to have a tool (if there isn't one yet) to get a diagnostic of
    the health of the system. Something that an user, with a limited
    knowledge of the system like me, can run and get the status of the
    different components.

    I would like to start writing some code for this and I have a general
    idea on which components to check.

    As an initial approach I plan to:

      - Check that configuration has been applied without errors: I plan to
    check for puppet/ansible logs and look for errors there.
      - Check for services up and running: Look at the output of sm-dump.
      - Verify the health of k8s: Checking that no pods are in Init state.
      - Check connectivity with additional nodes: To check that nodes
    booted and has network access.
      - Not sure yet how to check storage status beyond "ceph -s"

    I know this might be a naive approach and I'll appreciate any guidance
    to get in the correct path.

    Thank you in advance.

    -Erich