[Starlingx-discuss] Call for contributors: CentOS 8.0 upgrade for StarlingX 4.0

Dominig ar Foll (Intel Open Source) dominig.arfoll at fridu.net
Wed Oct 2 08:55:58 UTC 2019

Hello,

most likely, the work done to port StarlingX on OpenSUSE should be a
good reference to you.
CentOS 8 and OpenSUSE 15.1 are both recent distros with newer kernel
(4.12 for 15.1 and 5.3 for the soon to come 15.2).
As I work currently on OpenSUSE, I can tell you that Python is not the
most urgent issue as 2.7 can be installed in one single dnf command.

This initialisations which are based on Ansible and Puppet is more
likely going to be an issue as well as as systemD.
If you look for ideas on how we progress on OpenSUSE you can have a
check at our main build repo.
  https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/Cloud:StarlingX:2.0

You will also find many back ports that I had to do in order to progress
without breaking to many dependencies.

https://build.opensuse.org/project/subprojects/home:dominig:fedora-kickstart-sandbox

As CentOS 8 is available on OpenSUSE build system (OBS), and that your
spec files are located on git, I could create a CentOS 8 test build
which most likely would break :-(
Please let me know if that would be of any help to you.

Regards.
Dominig

On 27/09/2019 03:07, Yong Hu wrote:
> Hi community members,
>
> Early this week, we saw RedHat has started releasing CentOS 8.0, which
> is one of big commitments we made to StarlingX 4.0.
>
> As this upgrade from 7.6 to 8.0 is a non-trivial update, we might have
> to address several aspects, such as:
>   1). SRPM/RPM impacts to current build system.
>   2). StarlingX patches on top of CentOS packages.
>   3). Kernel (3.10.x to 4.18.x) and driver, standard and RT version
>   4). Security fixes cumulatively merged
>   5). Python 3.x support and
>   6). Impacts to flocks and other services directly running on top of
> CentOS.
>   7). more others?
>

> Here we would like to *call for contributors* to sign up this task and
> kick off tech analysis and engineering efforts ASAP (better before TSC
> officially approving this upgrade for Stx.4.0).
>
> On the other hand, if you are interested in this important mission but
> with a bit concerns, NO worries at all. Anytime you reach out to
> myself and Shuicheng (who is quite skillful and experienced in this
> area after running through 2 rounds of CentOS upgrade successfully in
> the past).
> As a community, we are always around and supporting you.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Yong

Dominig ar Foll
Senior Software Architect