[Starlingx-discuss] [MultiOS] Maintenance enabling on openSUSE - first steps and errors

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 00:28:31 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 7:15 PM Rosales Jimenez, Marcela A
<marcela.a.rosales.jimenez at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi team,
>

> As you may know, we have all the StarlingX flock packaged and available for openSUSE in OBS [1], but we still need to make it run and work correctly.
>

> For StarlingX Maintenance services enabling on openSUSE I am doing the following experiment:
>

> Identify MTCE appropriate projects to enable on openSUSE (all except kickstart and pxe-network-installer)
> Identify per repo, the packages generated
> Identify per package, its services provided
> Install one by one the MTCE packages
> After an installation, run the service’s binary manually (without systemd or Service Manager, as all that flow is not supported in openSUSE yet)
>

> My goal is to run all services and see if they have common problems, so I can start asking questions and solving the ones that impact more services first.
>

> So, I mapped everything into a list here [2], and started the step 4 and 5.
>
> I installed mtce-1.0-lp151.10.2.x86_64.rpm and libamon1-1.0-lp151.10.2.x86_64.rpm on an openSUSE vagrant VM, I have my working flow documented in a github repo [3].
>

> Here are the results I have for now:
>
> project: mtce
>
>     package: libamon1-1.0-lp151.10.2.x86_64.rpm (184 KB) / this is pmon [SUCCESSFUL INSTALLATION]
>
>         service: pmon.service - Missing /etc/platform/platform.conf
>
>     package: mtce-1.0-lp151.10.2.x86_64.rpm (902 KB) [SUCCESSFUL INSTALLATION]
>
>         service: fsmon.service - Missing /etc/platform/platform.conf
>
>         service: goenabled.service - failed to write state file /var/run/.goenabled, but returns an exit status 0 if it runs with sudo
>
>         service: hbsClient.service - Missing /etc/platform/platform.conf
>
>         service: hwclock.service - exit status 0, but it has some errors about /usr/lib/locale/en_US.UTF-8/ not existing, in openSUSE is /usr/lib/locale/en_US.utf8/
>
>         service: mtcClient.service - Missing /etc/platform/platform.conf
>
>         service: mtcalarm.service - Missing /etc/platform/platform.conf
>
>         service: mtclog.service - Missing /etc/platform/platform.conf
>

> My questions:
>
> At least for now I see that most of the errors are about not having /etc/platform/platform.conf file. Who provides that file? How do I satisfy that dependency? In the spec file?

Have you try dnf provides  /etc/platform/platform.conf
DNF has this feature:
https://dnf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/command_ref.html#provides-command-label

> Also, I don’t know what are the expected results of each service. Is it enough to get an exit status of 0?

I don't think that exit status is good enough, I think we need to work
on a test plan for each flock service. Originally each service should
be documented about what are the expected functions it should perform.
Based on that anyone could develop the test case. We can work on a
test plan for the flock services as part of R4 but not sure if is
already in the plan or not

Regards