[Starlingx-discuss] Cross checking projects and repos

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 22:30:49 UTC 2019

On 10/17/19 4:30 PM, Jones, Bruce E wrote:
> I mapped our repos to projects using the projects.yaml file in the governance repo.  The following starlingX repos are _not_ listed in projects.yaml by any sub-project:

> *         Gplv2                    - Not listed
> *         Gplv3                    - Not listed
> *         Tis-repo               - Not listed
> *         Utils                       - Not listed

These were in the original set and recombined into the flock repos soon
after the initial public release.  They remain in Gerrit because
history.  *(Actually tis-repo was never used by StarlingX, I have used
it for running test jobs such as the github-based stx-nova unit and
functional tests for our stable branch fork.)

> *         Upstream            - Not listed

Saul mentions below and I agree this actually is a repo for the
OpenStack Distro team as that is what is in it.  It should be added and
its contributors checked.

> For most of our projects, we can generate the eligible voters by simply querying the repos.  For Multi-OS, Networking and OpenStack-distro, that approach doesn't work and the PLs have to keep track of who commits on behalf of the project.  I think that approach is far from ideal and would like to open a discussion about what we can do to help these PLs solve this problem for the next election.

PLs have the responsibility to track the Extra-ATCs already, that is
essentially what this is when a team does not have a repo.  In the end
it is the team leadership (TL, PL, cores) who know who is making
contributions to the goals of the team.  The PL can always delegate that
task to anyone they choose.

The alternatives that I have thought about all require _someone_ to do
more work, whether it is a team leader or the contributors themselves.
Asking the contributors to do something to actively register their
interest/participation would help with collecting an initial list but
someone will still have to evaluate if I can get added to an electorate
just by registering and lurking in the team meetings. (I wouldn't count
that as a contribution.)

So create a wiki page (it requires a login so can be somewhat trusted as
to who is doing the editing) and ask contributors to add themselves to
it to produce that initial list.  Then the PL only needs to confirm
foundation membership and evaluate the contribution that was made by the
individuals.

Or to go one step closer to what was suggested in the TSC meeting, ask
the contributors to create a review adding themselves to extra-atcs and
the team can +1 that for those they consider to have made sufficient
contributions.

dt

--
Dean Troyer