[Starlingx-discuss] Minutes: StarlingX Containerization Meeting

Miller, Frank Frank.Miller at windriver.com
Wed Oct 23 00:11:00 UTC 2019

Thanks to all who participated in today's meeting.  Good progress across the stx.3.0 features.

Minutes for Oct 22:
1. Updates on stx.3.0 container features for MS3 milestone:
2004008: [Feature] Create HELM chart for Fault project [Ran An] - one horizon related commit needs a new approach which cannot be done in stx.3.0 timeframe
Decision for stx.3.0 is to keep FM container code but disable it so that FM runs natively for stx.3.0 - then address horizon issue in stx.4.0 and re-enable FM containers.
Ran has proposed doing this by bringing back the "fault_management_pod_disabled" flag that was introduced in stx.2.0 and removed in stx.3.0
Ran's forecast for completing this and posting gerrit review is end of week, ie Oct 25
2005937: Intel GPU K8s device plugin support in StarlingX [An Ran] -  Ran confirmed this feature is now merged
Below 2 patches are for k8s device plugin enabling mechanism in ansible and sysinv, add intel gpu device plugin as well  --- merged
- https://review.opendev.org/#/c/666511/
- https://review.opendev.org/#/c/666510/
This patch is for align all device plugins in one method. Will be revisit when default device plugins require to be align.  --- abandoned
- https://review.opendev.org/#/c/685592/

2005514: QAT K8S device plugin support in StarlingX
Mingyuan: status of 3 patches which depended on Ran's 666510/666511
- https://review.opendev.org/684890 --> merged
- https://review.opendev.org/688344 --> Cores have +2'd -- just need WFL +1
- https://review.opendev.org/688363  --> Cores have +2'd -- just need WFL +1
2005860: Upversion container components [Al Bailey]  --> merged
2004761: Integrate Backup & Restore with Containers (for platform) [Ovidiu Poncea]  --> merged

2. Complete review of KATA containers feature with container Cores.
    - Shuicheng's update:
        Here is the latest test status for kata integration in StarlingX.
(1) Pass Sanity test for AIO-SX/AIO-DX/Multi/Multi+Storage.
(2) Tested private registry (insecure registry)     enabled/disabled.
(3) Tested docker proxy enabled/disabled.
(4) Tested swact/lock & unlock/remove & apply     application.
(5) Tested local registry (registry.local:9001) with image     pull/push, and access both from kubernetes and crictl (CLI).
     For regression test, I checked container related test cases in below doc, and executed most of them. No issue is found yet.
         https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dwcBwY4Yq1Lo9Der4RylzQ6KYp0BsMHohhEmhwpauDo/edit?usp=sharing
     Currently, I meet a deploy issue with IPv6 environment, and the issue could be reproduced with master daily build also.
      I am checking whether it is caused by my environment or a real issue of master now.
     Here is the patch list waiting review:  https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:kata+(status:open)

Some questions/comments from TL/Brent:
    - Have we tested with external registry and where username/pwd is required?  Answer: Not yet. Action: Request is for Shuicheng to test (maybe work with Yong)
    - What is the plan to remove dockerd?
        - Plan is to remove in a separate commit after the main code merges.  Shuicheng plan is to wait till stx.4.0 to remove - is this acceptable?
        - Shuicheng plan is to have the dockerd removal commit ready by end of November.  Plan then to merge this into stx.4.0 once it is open.
        - We agreed this would be acceptable.
    - Looks like there is one upstream patch we are carrying (in containerd and runc?).  What is the plan to upstream these patches?
        - Action: Ensure there is a task to upversion docker distribution registry to remove the need to carry this patch.
        - This too will be done early in stx.4.0.  Shuicheng to update us in 1 week on when this task can be completed.

Decision to allow into stx.3.0?  Three requirements:
    - Shuicheng to complete testing for IPv6 and external registry with username/pwd authentication
    - Cores to complete their reviews
    - Frank to confirm with Ada that testing of this feature can be done in time for stx.3.0
    - Backup plan: If instability is seen in stx.3.0 or significant testing by Ada results in failures then the feature would need to be backed up and fixed/delivered in stx.4.0

Frank Miller, Manager, Engineering, Wind River
direct 613.963.1389  zoom frank.miller at windriver.com
350 Terry Fox Drive, Suite 200, Kanata, ON K2K 2W5