[Starlingx-discuss] [docs] [meeting] Docs team notes 2020-04-01

Camp, MaryX maryx.camp at intel.com
Fri Apr 3 19:08:18 UTC 2020

Hello all,
Here are this week's docs team meeting minutes.
Join us if you have interest in StarlingX docs! We meet on Wednesdays 12:30 PST.

  *   Call logistics: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Starlingx/Meetings
  *   Our tracking Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-documentation

thanks,
Mary Camp
==========
2020-04-01
*        All -- reviews merged since last week:  2
*        All -- bug status -- no change
*        All -- R4 target content: https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/list?status=active&tags=stx.4.0&project_id=1046

  *   Windows Active Dir content -- Review available: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/712111/
?  More changes from Greg. Latest patch set includes updates from Jerry Sun and Teresa Ho.

  *   Upgrade Kubernetes version -- Review available: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/712583/
?  http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2020-February/007901.html (R4 new content)
?  Angie Wang emailed more info about the 3 patches, however offline email thread w/Angie & Bart about making this into wiki content because it could change. We may point to it from the user doc. Check in on Monday if don't hear anything beforehand.

  *   no update: Assignment of R4 doc tasks
?  These stories have no assigned person:
*        https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2006770 (How to use Backup & Restore)  AR Mary ping Frank Miller
*        https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2007223 (update build guide w/ layered build info)  SME Scott Little but too busy at the moment. Wait a while.
*        https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2007222 (update dist cloud bare metal install w/ redfish info)  AR Mary check discuss archive, may be covered already? If not ask Tao Liu.
*        https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2006588 (updates for Dist Cloud)  AR Mary ask Dariush (reference the story) Do we need doc updates?
*        All -- Opens

  *   new: Docker proxy setup ongoing questions w/Saul: http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2020-March/008189.html  and email from Greg. Priority 1 task
?  Greg will ask around, try to get with Saul to see the log output, etc. Mary do the un-bury work.
?  2 proxy settings exist (http and https). Anything inside your network must use the "noproxy" setting. 2 customers are having this issue: GE and ABB.
?  Failure message says to look at Ansible log - if you dig deep into it, you find that it's a proxy issue.
?  2 areas for improvement: Troubleshooting solution aka "if you get this message, try this". Also, "how you can tell this is working" check after install.

  *   no update: Brucej -- let's discuss Ildiko's email, esp. network documentation (STX feedback):  http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2020-March/008088.html
?  AR Greg to make a story - ask for help from networking team. We need overview of how to configure networking in STX.
?  Mapping between STX networking, how we differ from OpenStack behavior, then point to OpenStack for more details.
?  "The way how OpenStack networking was propagated over data networks turned out to be very problematic and caused hitting the wall a few times. In details you have to configure data networks over the platform management components, but then you have to set VLAN's you are going to use over data networks on the OpenStack side. This was not documented anywhere."

  *   no update: All -- Wiki status
?  Revisit planned migration of wiki content: lets close this out (see yellow). https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UJjUttsWQRyauATrip0wKGIxSO7DvyetDKmPwvEIDaA/edit?usp=sharing
?  Virtual Box wiki converted to RST file. Review available: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/711769/
?  Latest patch set includes Bart's comments as separate method in the VB network guide.
?  When this gets merged, the old wiki topic will be removed, noted as deprecated. Keep going through to get these last few topics migrated.

  *   Reviews in progress:
?  https://review.opendev.org/#/c/714762/  Ritu Raj - adds text and diagrams to improve AIO Simplex installation.  AR Mary check latest and fix merge
?  https://review.opendev.org/#/c/714821/  Mary - Certificate config and management

  *   no update: New topics for us to document.  Both are coming from Intel field teams supporting customers (brucej)
?  Mary emailed Ghada on 17Mar20, asking for folks to contact for help on these topics:
*        High availability and failover mechanisms for applications and for SM.  [SM we may have in training in wiki, but HA and failover need more info (for industrial customers) Good idea to document best practices how to build these. ]
*        Networking - how to bridge / combine K8S and OpenStack networks for applications [Need to capture this info, but unclear who could provide this info. Need diagrams to show how it works externally.]