[Starlingx-discuss] FW: [starlingx-discuss][python3] four solutions for "Add python3-daemon required by logmgmt"

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Apr 28 14:25:05 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-28 06:44:35 -0700 (-0700), Saul Wold wrote:
> I am not sure I understand how option 1 and option 3 are different
> both are modifying upstream projects and require the StarlingX
> community to maintain a patched version (ie technical debt).
>
> Is there an option that modifies the logmgmt code directly instead
> of changing the daemon code?
[...]

It might be possible to subclass daemon.runner and shadow the
offending methods, rather than forking the entire codebase.

> > Option 3: import python-daemon-3k [2] python3 condition.
> >
> >   * use "python-daemon-3k" instead of "python-daemon" when the
> >     env is python3
> >   * add patch to fix the bug of python-daemon in python3 (refer
> >     to pull request #1 from takuti/fix-unbuffered-error
> >     <https://github.com/jbvsmo/python-daemon/commit/91567c9e68a1e02d3e9a811eaf9ab49961d9d63c>)
> >   * build python3-daemon rpm from python-daemon-3k release
> >     <https://github.com/jbvsmo/python-daemon/archive/1.5.8.tar.gz>
[...]

I find it amusing that the comparison is trying to count *GitHub
Stars* for a project which isn't actually hosted on GitHub (and when
were those ever a mark of quality in the first place?), but more
amazing is that it seems to have ignored that python-daemon-3k was
last released in 2014 and its Git repository has seen no new commits
since 2016, while python-daemon's last release was a mere 6 months
ago.

Also the patch referred to there looks like it would apply cleanly
to both projects (python-daemon-3k is really just a very outdated
fork of python-daemon anyway). Similar patches have been proposed to
python-daemon, so maybe helping to address the maintainer's concerns
with one of those would be a greater benefit to everyone?

    https://pagure.io/python-daemon/pull-request/7

    https://pagure.io/python-daemon/pull-request/27

--
Jeremy Stanley