[Starlingx-discuss] Important: DockerHub Updates it's Terms of Service

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Aug 17 16:29:05 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-17 12:14:45 -0400 (-0400), Scott Little wrote:
> Dockerhub will be implemented a 6 month image retention limit on it's free
> accounts starting November first.  StarlingX have been using the free
> service up till now, so this applies to us.
>
> Reading their Container Image Retention Policy FAQ
> <https://www.docker.com/pricing/retentionfaq>, it looks like it's
> 6 months of inactivity, rather than 6 month since creation.  I
> don't think the risk is terribly high, but we may want to look
> into a payed plan <https://www.docker.com/pricing/faq> as
> insurance.

It looks like if there are any images you want to ensure continue to
survive published on DockerHub, you just need something/someone to
pull a copy of them at least every 6 months (for example, via a
periodic CI job or even cron running somewhere). Also making sure
your contact address for the namespace on DH is correct and goes to
someone who will notice the pending deletion notifications will
help, as will checking the DH dashboard occasionally to see the
status of those images.
--
Jeremy Stanley