[Starlingx-discuss] bnx2x driver panic. Is source same as CentOS 7?

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 17 22:19:12 UTC 2020

Don: Thanks!  I had a similar email queued up!

Pratik: I have added some additional information.

On 8/17/20 2:42 PM, Penney, Don wrote:
> Firmware isn’t my area, but we don’t have bnx2x-bnxZ2x-e2-7.13.11.0.fw
> in our load at all. We are currently including
> linux-firmware-20190429-72.gitddde598.el7.noarch.rpm in our system:
>
> https://opendev.org/starlingx/tools/src/commit/e390e85bd5f079d827bfabb69208cd12ec4de02e/centos-mirror-tools/config/centos/flock/rpms_centos.lst#L536
>
> The closest it has to what you’re looking for is:
>
> /usr/lib/firmware/bnx2x/bnx2x-e1-7.13.11.0.fw
>
> /usr/lib/firmware/bnx2x/bnx2x-e1h-7.13.11.0.fw
>
> /usr/lib/firmware/bnx2x/bnx2x-e2-7.13.11.0.fw

I think that the e2-7.13.11.0 will work.

> I see nothing with bnxZ2x.
>
> We don’t currently update the initrd or squashfs (installer rootfs) with
> the linux-firmware RPM, so we just have what’s in the stock installer
> images. The initrd only has a handful of firmware images, while the
> squashfs.img appears to have a slightly older version of the
> linux-firmware RPM content (missing the 7.13.11.0 images listed above).

Yeah, I was looking into this also, there is the 7.13.1.0 firmware

> If the firmware you need is in a newer version of the linux-firmware
> RPM, we’d need to update the rpms_centos.lst file to move to the newer
> version, and also update the update-pxe-network-installer utility to
> update the linux-firmware RPM content in the initrd.img and squashfs.img
> images:
>
> https://opendev.org/starlingx/root/src/branch/master/build-tools/update-pxe-network-installer

A quick starting point might be to try adding the newer firmware load
into the /pxeboot/rel-20.06/installer-intel-x86-64-initrd_1.0 image on
Controller-0. If I remember your trying to use this for Controller-1.

We would welcome a general change that could add specified
modules/firmware to the initrd.img based on what Don suggested above.

Sau!