[Starlingx-discuss] CNI Chaining

bnovickovs at weecodelab.com bnovickovs at weecodelab.com
Wed Dec 16 04:18:06 UTC 2020

Hi STX community,

I ve been aware that Calico shall be used as the main CNI in Stx
deployments. However, I am wondering what would be your opinion of using
Cilium CNI chaining in conjunction with Calico -
https://docs.cilium.io/en/v1.9/gettingstarted/cni-chaining-calico/ which
would give

“ With Cilium CNI chaining, the base network connectivity and IP address
management is managed by the non-Cilium CNI plugin, but Cilium attaches
eBPF programs to the network devices created by the non-Cilium plugin to
provide L3/L4/L7 network visibility & policy enforcement and other
advanced features like transparent encryption.”

Do you think it’s safe enough and good practice overall to mix it up
this way or it’s better to avoid doing it? Thank you

Regards