[Starlingx-discuss] [Important] STX_build_pre_installer_layered - Build # 53 - Failure!

Hu, Yong yong.hu at intel.com
Wed Feb 26 00:39:38 UTC 2020

Hi Scott,
It's a fantastic sharing and thanks for comprehensive explanation!

Inspired by the case here (with 2 versions of python-oslo-concurrency for different layers), I would like to hear your ideas on a similar case (a tech challenge) which we met during CentOS 8 upgrade. Simply we wanted to use new version gcc-8.2.1 for kernel 4.18, and then old version gcc-4.8.5 for user space packages.
Is there a way to support this case above under the context of layered build design?
We know currently kernel (and out of tree kernel modules) and a set user space packages belong to "disto" layer.
But what if we create a new layer for kernel and kernel related modules?  Will this make 2 different versions of GCC work for 2 layers?

regards,
Yong