[Starlingx-discuss] A couple of notes on the current R3 Simplex installation docs, plus where's LDAP gone?

Ward, Martin mward at akamai.com
Thu Feb 27 12:13:42 UTC 2020

Hi,

Having gone through the install docs a couple of times now I have few items that I think are worthy of note.

Could you please provide some explanation of the networking before the actual installation steps? It took me three installs to get my head around what was intended here. I would suggest a section in the doc that describes the interfaces being created on the physical and virtual servers and what their intended uses are (I still don’t know what the stxbr and vnet interfaces are for).

In the VM itself I have an interface called enp4s1, in the doc it is referred to as enp7s1. Perhaps the name changes depending on something external to the Ansible script, I don’t know, but it would be useful to either align the doc with reality or make mention that the interface name could be different.

Finally, having gone through the latest install, everything was fine until I tried to run “system host-label-assign controller-0” commands for the “OpenStack-specific host configuration” section. It kept returning “File not found”, while trying to access 192.168.204.1 I think. I tried Microsoft Resolution #1 and rebooted the VM, now I cannot sudo to root because the VM cannot access LDAP, which means I cannot work out the problem from the logs. I’ve checked and slapd is definitely in the process list.

Any recommendations for what to look for here? I’m going to reinstall again and this time I will reset the root password before I do anything else, but I still need to work out what’s wrong with LDAP.

|\\/|artin