[Starlingx-discuss] Hummingbird: A project for small node management

Qi, Mingyuan mingyuan.qi at intel.com
Thu Jun 4 07:34:24 UTC 2020

Hi,

In Tuesday's PTG, I have introduced the proposal of a sub-project for small node management: Hummingbird.
I put the document link here[0] for community members who are interested in the detail info but haven't joined Tuesday PTG.

The target of Hummingbird project is to bring the ability of edge node(small node) management to StarlingX.
The project gets the name "Hummingbird" from hummingbird's characteristics: Tiny, stably hovering and echo to "starling".

Here are 3 reasons that having Hummingbird as a sub-project:

  1.  A bunch of technical areas such as containerization, networking, storage and flock services are converged in Hummingbird. The implementation of Hummingbird needs to be well coordinated among these technologies.
  2.  Hummingbird will be developed in a long term across multiple releases. The development pace of delivering features for small node management could be well discussed in the form of a sub-project.
  3.  Current sub-projects are organized in fundamental technologies. A sub-project based on individual functionality comes from a different perspective, for example like the projects in Openstack. It will enhance the collaboration of the members in different technology background in the community.
All above aim to bring the small node management to StarlingX in a well scheduled and quality ensured way.

It's a brand new proposal and I hope you could find something interesting in the doc. Welcome your questions and inputs.

[0] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VpglICCzI_PSGdCC12Y7MzhSE8cAolTM/view?usp=sharing

Best Regards,
Mingyuan