[Starlingx-discuss] [Build] A new way to test you package's dependencies

Scott Little scott.little at windriver.com
Mon Jun 8 14:02:49 UTC 2020

We now have a new command to test a package for its build dependencies.
It should be used when ever you upversion a package, or make significant
changes to it's build scripts (spec files, make files, auto-config ...)

    build-pkgs --dep-test <pkg>

It should be used when ever you upversion a package, or make significant
changes to it's build scripts (spec files, make files, auto-config ...)

Note: This should only be used following a full build-pkgs.  i.e. You
need to be sure that an dependencies that we also build are available.

One might think that if your package passes a full build (build-pkgs),
that you are safe, but this is NOT the case.  When doing a full build,
we don't wipe the build environment clean between packages.  This means
that the environment might (or might not) have a tool or library present
that your package needs, but fails to list as a BuildRequires in its
spec file.  It will build successfully one time, but night not build the
next.  It all depends on what packages were scheduled to build in the
same environment before the package of interest.

The --dep-test option rebuilds just one package in a clean environment,
providing an effective test of the BuildRequires for your package.