[Starlingx-discuss] StarlingX Adoption discussions in PTG

Imtiaz, Taimoor taimoor.imtiaz at intel.com
Wed Jun 10 07:32:03 UTC 2020

Hello Folks,

I was going through the PTG discussions and etherpads and came across the topic of community and users. Although I’m a new-ish member of the community, I’d like to highlight some things we can also look at:

Discussion Forums (Discourse, GitHub Discussions):
We are using mailing lists for all discussions today. Most cloud-native projects are using Discourse forums (e.g. Kubernetes<https://discuss.kubernetes.io/>, Docker<https://forums.docker.com/>, LXC, LXD, LXCFS<https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/>, etc. – virtually everyone in this space is part of a Discourse community. I want to double-stress this point actually).

GitHub recently announced the Beta of Discussions<https://github.blog/2020-05-06-new-from-satellite-2020-github-codespaces-github-discussions-securing-code-in-private-repositories-and-more/#discussions>. If STX is looking to build a community there, Discussions might be a nice, low-cost place to host the community.

Besides this, many communities have Slack and Discord teams. But forums are infinitely more discoverable (if we’re not talking about ad-hoc discussions).

Participation in other communities + Adoption Stories:
We need to be heavily present (announce CVEs, project updates etc.) in the Kubernetes discussion forums and Slack.

CNCF has regular posts from adopters of Kubernetes. If we have users who have adopted STX for their edge, we should invite their architect to promote their company’s blogpost on CNCF’s blog. I think it’s great promotion for the user’s product and for the STX community.

Fin’:
In my personal experience: I’ve been using and talking about STX for the last 6 months. It is strange that for talking about STX internally, we’re using tools like MS Teams and Slack or Yammer/Discourse/PlanetBlue within our respective companies but the community has a 2nd class experience.
In my opinion mailing lists and IRC are not the most modern way of managing large communities for modern, cloud-native projects. I’m sorry if this was already discussed some time ago and this is a repetition (Discourse has cool features to resolve these sorts of discussions btw. 😉)

Best
Taimoor
Intel Deutschland GmbH
Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de
Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Gary Kershaw
Registered Office: Munich