[Starlingx-discuss] StarlingX Adoption discussions in PTG

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jun 10 20:14:41 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-10 18:50:05 +0000 (+0000), Imtiaz, Taimoor wrote:
> Sure, I do not disagree that mailing lists are functional.
> Discourse is so much more welcoming and information is easy to
> discover.

"Welcoming" and "easy to discover" are matters of personal taste,
and so differ widely based on individual experience. De gustibus non
est disputandum.

> If you monitor a community forum such as Kubernetes', you'll see
> people having fun too (showing off projects etc.). It's also a bit
> more realtime and meant for threaded discussions.

E-mail and thus mailing lists are also explicitly designed for
threaded discussions, unless you've decided to cripple your
communications by using a terrible mail client. My client shows me
thread trees of list messages just fine.

> It was just a suggestion on my end. I do not think we should
> compare cloud native communities with Linux. The stewards are
> different generations of folks and mindset are totally different.

I hesitate to ascribe ageist generalizations to communication
tooling preferences. Are you suggesting that the Linux kernel
doesn't have younger developers? Or that Kubernetes doesn't have
older developers? What is specific to the Linux maintainer "mindset"
which differentiates it from the Kubernetes maintainer "mindset" in
this regard?

> In my observation, most people do not go through the hassle of
> registering on mailing lists. They do however like browsing forums
> (I know I do)..

I have no problem subscribing to mailing lists, in fact I'm
subscribed to many. I much prefer getting messages in my inbox and
not having to go check a dozen different Web sites to read new forum
posts for discussions in which I'm involved/interested. To be
honest, I'd rather not start up a Web browser at all when I can help
it.

> SEO tooling also likes it 😊
[...]

Have any details on this? Popular Web search engines already crawl
and index our list archives, and turn up relevant results from them.
--
Jeremy Stanley