[Starlingx-discuss] Newer NUC8 now require nomodeset

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Tue Mar 10 00:31:47 UTC 2020

Hi Folks,

I have been chasing down an issue with the newer NUC8 (NUC8i7HVK, these
are the dual NIC nucs with a skull on them). When we switched from the
3.10.0-957 kernel to the 3.10.0-1062 kernel in master the system started
to hang.

The initial kernel boot was hanging after during what seemed like the
Framebuffer initialization.  The following message was the last line:

fb: conflicting fb hw usage amdgpudrmfb vs EFI VGA - removing generic driver

After some investigation, I set the "nomodeset" kernel cmdline parameter
and that seems to have solved the problem.

I have not investigated this any further today, but we might want to see
what changes went happened between the 957 and 1062 kernel in the
Framebuffer and Video drivers area.

Sau!