[Starlingx-discuss] enable pbr version

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Mar 29 19:18:36 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-29 18:45:28 +0000 (+0000), Penney, Don wrote:
> So the idea being that when we create a release branch, like
> r/stx.4.0 for example, we would upversion master and add a SemVer
> tag to increment it to 5.0.0?
>
> I don't have a lot of experience with git tags and semver... if we
> create a branch at SHA XYZ for r/stx.4.0 and then tag XYZ as
> 5.0.0, is it possible the r/stx.4.0 branch would see 5.0.0 as the
> semver (since it has XYZ, which has been tagged)?
[...]

The idea is that following creation of the r/stx.4.0 branch, one of
the next (if not the very next) commits to the master branch
includes a commit message footer hinting at a SemVer break so that
PBR starts assuming the next tag on that branch will (eventually) be
5.0.0 (or 4.1.0 depending on which indicator you use), and so starts
autoversioning on master with versions higher than anything you'll
ever use on the r/stx.4.0 branch.
--
Jeremy Stanley