[Starlingx-discuss] Require kernel v4.18 commits to be reverted

Scott Little scott.little at windriver.com
Mon May 4 12:38:21 UTC 2020

Our builds are currently broken on the download mirror step.
  Yumdownloader is failing to download the kernel headers specified in
our lst files.  The files are present in our rpm repos, checksums
verified, and are properly indexed in the repo data.  The yum tool set
just refuses to download it for us.

So what has changed?

A new kernel from centos 8 was added.  This required the additions of
new centos 8 repos. The centos 8 repos are now shipping a newer kernel
than the one we are trying to adopt. The latest kernel has an
‘obsoletes’ vs the kernel we are trying to adopt.

It’s our theory that the presence of a newer package that obsoletes the
package we wish to download is the trigger for the download refusal.

It looks like obsoletes usage will be the norm in centos 8, at least in
the kernel area.

There does not appear to be any way to get yumdownloader to download an
obsoletes package.

We will be looking into ways to find and download packages without yum’s
help, but that will take some time.

Upversioning the the latest centos 8 kernel might be a temporary fix,
but would break as soon as centos issues another kernel update.

In the mean time, I think we need to temporarily back out the kernel
feature so that we can build again.

Scott