[Starlingx-discuss] [Debian Build]: Layout of the debian folder

ytao yue.tao at windriver.com
Mon Aug 16 03:17:35 UTC 2021

On 7/27/21 10:52 AM, ytao wrote:

> On 7/27/21 7:05 AM, Short, Charles wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>       First of all, I'm appreciated for your input.
>

>> I had a look through the document and it looks okay. I just have a
>> couple of comments/questions about the folder content:
>>
>>   * **debver** - This is the package version of the debian package?
>>     This is generated from the debian/changelog when the package is
>>     built. I guess the problem is that you want to differentiate from
>>     a starlingx package and native package? My suggestion would be
>>     what the Ubuntu developers do. For example, if we have patches to
>>     apply for systemd, the debian version would be 247.3-3, while the
>>     StarlingX package would be 247.3-3stx0. Then a user or developer
>>     can quickly see that they are working with a native debian
>>     package or a starlingx modified package.
>>
>        For a Debian native package, the *debver* is the debian
> version. We use it to download the src via "apt-source
> packagname=debver", for a starlingx package, it is up to the
> developer. I observed in CentOS version, they added a patch to change
> the package version, for example
> integ/base/lighttpd/centos/meta_patches/Update-package-versioning-for-TIS-format.patch,
> which appends a 'tis' to package version, that requests developer to
> update the version manually. After transiting to debian, OBS can
> achieve it automatically. It can append 'tis' or 'stx' to a package,
> so don't need developers to update it manually.

Recently, we found an issue related to "--append-to-version" option of
sbuild, via which we append the ".stx" to a built package version, so
that we don't need to involve a developer to modify revision manually. A
upstream commit
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/sbuild/commit/9741ec6eb018d500a93e607f998dda8af52c9ce0
forces the "--append-to-version"implies "--no-arch-all", which causes
the packages with --arch-all are skipped by sbuild, for example, most of
the python modules, so we have to give up the "--append-to-version" option.

After reviewing the function "srpm_source_build_data()" in||
https://opendev.org/starlingx/root/src/branch/master/build-tools/srpm-utils
in depth, we decide to inherit the PKG_GITREVCOUNT/SRC_GITREVCOUNT/

PKG_BASE_SRCREV/SRC_BASE_SRCREV 4 macros from CentOS version to increase
the revision automatically. Difference with CentOS version is using a
yaml file instead of build_srpm.data.  And we define a new environment
variable $STX_DIST (default value is ".stx"), which is appended to built
package version.

A new yaml file is involved, why not to merge other files into the yaml
file? Hence, we merge the dl_path/src_path/debver/debname into
meta_data.yaml, a sample of the meta_data_yaml

$cat integ/base/libfdt/debian/meta_data.yaml

==================

debver: 1.4.4-1
debname: libfdt
dl_path:
   name: dtc-1.4.4.tar.gz
   url: https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/utils/dtc/dtc-1.4.4.tar.gz
   md5sum: e558cd0e244f122bcb4ebaca166aea4e
revision:
   dist: $STX_DIST
   PKG_GITREVCOUNT:

More details please see the stx_deb_folder_layout.rst file.

Thanks,

ytao