[Starlingx-discuss] How low latency implemented in STX?

open infra openinfradn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 15:50:51 UTC 2021

Hi
On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 8:50 PM Jones, Bruce E <bruce.e.jones at intel.com>
wrote:

> There are several low latency features in StarlingX, depending on what you
> mean by low latency.

I just asked to understand as 'ultra-low latency'  feature is mentioned in
the stx web site.

> StarlingX supports the rt-linux kernel, which significantly improves
> kernel scheduling and reduces rt application latency.

So, we use low latency profile with RT kernel?
Or customized profile that specific to stx?

> It also supports OVS DPDK, which greatly reduces network packet delivery
> latency, which I believe is only supported today in Neutron.  There is work
> in progress in the communitfeature y to enable DPDK in Kubernetes but AFAIK
> that work has not yet been picked up by StarlingX.

Thanks for sharing this information.

Could be a dumb question:
Does it provide any specific protocols to improve the performance of video
streaming etc?