[Starlingx-discuss] Deploying StarlingX without Kubernetes.

Hu, Yong yong.hu at intel.com
Wed Jan 20 02:06:42 UTC 2021

See my comments for your further questions:

> Should I deploy Openstack before installing StarlingX or StartlingX itself deploy the required modules of Openstack?
You deploy StarlingX first, and then if you want, you can deploy Openstack on top of it. https://docs.starlingx.io/deploy_install_guides/r4_release/openstack/index.html
The majority of OpenStack services are containerized and running on K8S which is integrated as a part of StarlingX.

> Does StarlingX support CentOS Stream as the host OS?
AFAIK, it’s not decided yet. Please see the related topics discussed in community.

> Is there any specific performance tunning guide available for hostOS and VMs?
please bring your specific questions on performance, like on which aspect. “Performance tuning” is too general to discuss.

From: open infra <openinfradn at gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 10:58 PM
To: "Hu, Yong" <yong.hu at intel.com>
Cc: "starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io" <starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io>
Subject: Re: [Starlingx-discuss] Deploying StarlingX without Kubernetes.

Hi Yong.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 5:33 AM Hu, Yong <yong.hu at intel.com<mailto:yong.hu at intel.com>> wrote:
Hi Danishka,
There is NO such one dedicated flag to enable or disable K8s during the system deployment.
Though, technically you can trim codes to make it. Roughly STX has done some work around K8s installation/configuration/deployment.
Mostly the related code is existing in the following projects: starlingx/ansible-playbooks, starlingx/config, starlingx/stx-puppet, starlingx/ha, and starlingx/nfv.

Thanks for the information.

BTW: what use cases or production scenarios make you have such a requirements or incentive?

I just asked to understand though I have no such use case.
To be honest I am new to both OpenStack and StarlingX (even I heard about startling few days ago.)

Before installing StarlingX I am looking into available options and best practises.

I have a few questions that not related to the subject of the original mail.

Should I deploy Openstack before installing StarlingX or StartlingX itself deploy the required modules of Openstack?
Does StarlingX support CentOS Stream as the host OS?
Is there any specific performance tunning guide available for hostOS and VMs?

Regards,
Danishka