[Starlingx-discuss] [docs] [meeting] Docs team notes 27-Jan-21

Camp, MaryX maryx.camp at intel.com
Wed Jan 27 23:39:40 UTC 2021

Hello all,
Here are this week's docs team meeting minutes (short form). Details in [2].
Join us if you have interest in StarlingX docs! We meet on Wednesdays 12:30 PST.

  [1]   Call logistics: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Starlingx/Meetings
  [2]   Tracking Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-documentation

thanks,
Mary Camp
==========

27-Jan-21
All -- reviews merged since last meeting:  0
All -- bug status -- 19 total - team agrees to defer all low priority LP until the upstreaming effort is completed.
13 LP are WIP against API documentation, which is generated from source code (low priority). Those reviews are here: https://review.opendev.org/#/q/project:starlingx/config

Status/questions/opens

Discuss and define review process / PV testing / commit messages for Starlingx docs (Wind River) feature updates

Review process: current model - designer emails docs team, here comes new feature and here's the doc about it. Docs team creates the content in appropriate format, adds to the correct guide, etc.
We want to be sure the original designer reviews new features in Gerrit before they are merged.
Suggestion to add "key reviewers" in commit message as a heads-up.
We need to be careful not to +2 reviews that need approval by technical reviewers.

Testing:
Back in Sept. 2020, Greg and Mary attended Test meeting to ask about looping in the test team to test some of our complicated procedures (ie install/deployment guides)?
The proposal was to use launchpads for test request. Greg/Mary to create launchpads for explict testing, and provide query to test team.
Test team will review the backlog and have them discussed and assigned in test meeting.

How to interwork the STX test process with WR PV testing -> not in current process, maybe that could be added? Maybe this isn't part of the community process?
The WR test team could contribute to the upstream efforts by taking ownership of the LP.
If a feature is already released as patch (and has undergone internal testing already) then it wouldn't need upstream testing.

Next steps:  submit doc review for SNMPv3, raise a LP in the test team project, and go from there.
FYI, Mary checked the Test team etherpad and it seems that Yang Liu is still leading the team. [https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/stx-test]

Extra doc build testing
Ron suggests adding script to the end of tox build to identify issues locally before submitting review. This could avoid things like the gray bar issue. Ron is going to look into implementing this.

SNMPv3 API changes reviews:
AR Mary: change reviews to use this statement:  StarlingX supports SNMP v2 and v3, but it is now configured through Helm charts.
The pointer to the Fault Management Guide is OK as-is.
Change commit message: remove software dependency, add W -1 till final doc review is available.

Version dropdown update
Moving the openstack starlingx theme into our repo - probably won't work the way we expected of interdependencies (os-api-ref and pbr)
New idea - creating our own theme that would be like a "wrapper" around the existing openstackdocstheme, gives us the customization we want
Kevin thinks he can amputate some of the unneeded complexity and add our special sauce
This would be simpler maintenance for us in the long term, we can rely on the openstack folks to keep going with maintenance of the complicated theme bits.
We will need to figure out how it will impact building the API docs which happens via Zuul jobs. This can wait till later in the process.