[Starlingx-discuss] [Debian Build]: Layout of the debian folder

Short, Charles Charles.Short at windriver.com
Mon Jul 26 23:05:49 UTC 2021

Hi,

I had a look through the document and it looks okay. I just have a couple of comments/questions about the folder content:

  *   **debver** - This is the package version of the debian package? This is generated from the debian/changelog when the package is built. I guess the problem is that you want to differentiate from a starlingx package and native package? My suggestion would be what the Ubuntu developers do. For example, if we have patches to apply for systemd, the debian version would be 247.3-3, while the StarlingX package would be 247.3-3stx0. Then a user or developer can quickly see that they are working with a native debian package or a starlingx modified package.
  *   **deb_patches** - As a developer, if the package has its debian/patches I would rather use the debian/patches directory. If the directory doesnt exist I am more likely to create a debian/patches directory and then send a patch to debian to fix a problem.
  *   **dl_path** - Debian already does this for you already, the debian/watch file keeps track of where to download a tarball, or a zip file, or a python wheel for you. You can use uscan(1), which is a part of devscripts package. Debian/Ubuntu developers have been doing this for years. (https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch)

Regards
chuck

debian/watch - Debian Wiki<https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch>
debian/watch. The file named watch in the debian directory is used to check for newer versions of upstream software is available and to download it if necessary. The download itself will be performed with the uscan program from the devscripts package. It takes the path to the debian directory that uses the watch file as an argument or searches the directories underneath the current working ...
wiki.debian.org