[Starlingx-discuss] [docs] [meeting] Docs team notes 30-Jun-21

Camp, MaryX maryx.camp at intel.com
Wed Jun 30 21:15:15 UTC 2021

Hello all,
Here are this week's docs team meeting minutes (short form). Details in [2].
Join us if you have interest in StarlingX docs! We meet on Wednesdays 12:30 PST.

  [1]   Call logistics: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Starlingx/Meetings
  [2]   Tracking Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-documentation

thanks,
Mary Camp
==========
30-Jun-21
All -- reviews merged since last meeting:  >50 (cherry picks)

Status/questions/opens
Mary will be out for the next 2 weeks (July 6-16), returning on Monday July 19.
  Since things are quiet now, we agreed to cancel this meeting for the next 2 weeks. AR Mary to send a meeting cancellation notice.

Thursday July 1 is a holiday in Canada.

Adil is leaving the team after next week. Thanks for all your efforts on the documentation, you will be missed!

Mary will also send note to discuss-list about R5 retrospective feedback, for docs only.

Cherry pick status - we think we are done. Ron will double-check using "git log --no-merges" (he has the detailed command line).
   If it's not done, we agreed to create new reviews in the R5 branch.
   Scott Little will re-tag the branch and we'll go on from there.

Installation guide discrepancy
Recommendations:
Make a new review with the "Install Notice" changes for the R5 install guides in main branch. Explain why we're doing this in the commit message.  AR Mary.
Cherry pick that review into the R5 branch.
Compare the R5 and R6 install guides to be sure they are aligned & accurate. (Beyond Compare is pretty good for this)

Background
Here is what I found when looking into the missing "72 hour notice" issue we discovered last week.
792961 "Install Notice"  This review added the 72 hour notice to 4 install guides. Merged on 5/25.
793093 "R5 updates to landing page and installation"  Merged on 5/31.
   This review created the R6 install guides folder in the main branch by duplicating the R5 guides at the time (including the 72 hour note!)
   It also moved the R1-R4 install guides into the R5-only branch. (R5 docs were not moved since they were already present in the branch. This will be important later.)
794024  "Add R5 install guides to latest branch"  Merged on 6/2.
   Copied the R5 install guides from R5 branch back to the main branch.

Because the "Install Notice"  review [792961] was not cherry picked into R5 branch, that change is only present in the "latest" aka R6 install guides.
You can see it if you look at this file: starlingx\docs\doc\source\deploy_install_guides\r6_release\bare_metal\aio_duplex_install_kubernetes.rst

There was a 2 day period when R5 install guides only existed on the R5 branch (5/31 - 6/2).
I have gone over the list of Closed reviews during that time and don't see any others that may have fallen thru the cracks like the "Install Notice" review.