[Starlingx-discuss] Introducing Test Plan Section in Commit Message

Subramanian, Ramaswamy Ramaswamy.Subramanian at windriver.com
Wed Oct 6 12:52:49 UTC 2021

Hello,

We have received numerous feedback from various team members to improve the following items.

  1.  Core reviewer(s) of various repositories have very limited visibility on the tests (scenarios, count, etc) executed on the code posted for review.  There is additional communication between core reviewer(s) and author to understand tests executed.  In some cases, core reviewer(s) request additional test coverage.
  2.  Share the developer test details between development and test teams in a consistent way.

In order to address the above items, we are introducing a test plan section in the commit message.  This section should specify tests executed on the changed code.  Please refer to the updated code submission guide<https://docs.starlingx.io/developer_resources/code-submission-guide.html> for additional details.  An example commit message is added to the wiki<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GitCommitMessages>.

We encourage everyone to adopt the updated commit message template effective immediately.

Should you have any suggestions/feedback to improve this further, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Thanks.