[Starlingx-discuss] Starlingx on ARM processor

Wed Feb 15 15:14:44 UTC 2023

On 2/8/2023 2:43 AM, voipas wrote:
> Thanks for your email, i also checked minimum hardware requirements for
> starlingx, so like raspberry pi 4b with 8 GB ram will not work with
> strlingx.

We have done some very preliminary work experimented with ARM devices as
worker nodes but this work is out of date and needs to be revisited.

Here are a few notes on the topic.

1. Raspberry Pi kernels are a bit of a pain. There is a constant
patchset of several hundred patches needed. Efforts to assist in getting
these patches upstream have failed as the community working on the Pi
kernel has not always been receptive to assistance.

2. Selecting the Yocto Project kernel for STX when we moved from CentOS
was done in the hopes of leveraging the ARM BSPs present in this kernel
at some point in the future. So there is a desire to get ARM support to
some degree in STX.

3. Resource constraints for ARM have not been experimented with, the
earlier POC didn't get far enough to develop these. I would expect once
a concerted effort is made to support ARM that list of resources
required for STX will be updated to reflect ARM.

4. The build system has not excluded expansion to ARM but at this point
hasn't been made to build for ARM. I would anticipate that to start ARM
images would be hand crafted to assist with identifying tech updates
required for ARM as the build system is updated to be able to build for ARM.

Now that the transition away from CentOS is "complete" we can start to
revisit ARM. It might be worth writing a Storyboard or raising this
request to the TSC to see if efforts can/should be made to get this
kicked off.

Regards,
MarkA