[Starlingx-discuss] Manifest decoupling: StarlingX and stx-openstack application

Waines, Greg Greg.Waines at windriver.com
Thu Jun 22 12:21:05 UTC 2023

+1

From: Cervi, Thales Elero <ThalesElero.Cervi at windriver.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2023 1:54 PM
To: StarlingX ML <starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io>
Subject: [Starlingx-discuss] Manifest decoupling: StarlingX and stx-openstack application

Greetings to the community 🙂

I would like to bring to this mailing list a discussion we are having about splitting the stx-openstack application repositories from the main starlingx manifest into a new one.

In order to decouple the OpenStack Clients currently shared between platform and application we are suggesting to decouple the platform and application builds in separate manifests (e.g. starlingx/manifest/default.xml and starlingx/manifest/stx-openstack.xml).
I understand that the new manifest needs to be created and build jobs configured properly and tested, I can also create the Stories for mapping this work later.

BENEFITS: we achieve the freedom of building different versions of the same packages (i.e. openstack clients) that are shared between the platform and the application.
The end goal would be something like:

Remain as is   (default manifest aligns to upstream Debian version => Victoria)
============
stx/upstream  openstack/barbican
stx/upstream  openstack/keystone
stx/upstream  openstack/python-barbicanclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-keystoneclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-horizon
stx/upstream  openstack/python-openstackclient
Only keep the services needed by the platform. Some existing patches might have been brought forward to support stx-openstack, so we should re-evaluate as part of this.
Those would still be built as part of STX Platform builds, i.e. starlingx/manifest/default.xml
Manifest should not include stx/openstack-armada-app repo anymore.

Relocate (stx-openstack app independently aligns to version of choice: Victoria [current] => Antelope [future])
====================
stx/upstream  openstack/barbican               copy-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/barbican
stx/upstream  openstack/keystone               copy-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/keystone
stx/upstream  openstack/python-barbicanclient  copy-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-barbicanclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-keystoneclient  copy-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-keystoneclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-horizon         copy-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-horizon
stx/upstream  openstack/python-openstackclient copy-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-openstackclient
stx/upstream  openstack/openstack-pkg-tools    move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/openstack-pkg-tools
stx/upstream  openstack/openstack-ras          move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/openstack-ras
stx/upstream  openstack/python-aodhclient      move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-aodhclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-cinderclient    move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-cinderclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-glanceclient    move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-glanceclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-gnocchiclient   move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-gnocchiclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-heatclient      move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-heatclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-ironicclient    move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-ironicclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-keystoneclient  move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-keystoneclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-neutronclient   move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-neutronclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-novaclient      move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-novaclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-openstacksdk    move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-openstacksdk
stx/upstream  openstack/python-osc-lib         move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-osc-lib
stx/upstream  openstack/python-oslo-messaging  move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-oslo-messaging
stx/upstream  openstack/python-pankoclient     move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-pankoclient
stx/upstream  openstack/python-wsme            move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/python-wsme
stx/upstream  openstack/rabbitmq-server        move-to stx/openstack-armada-app/upstream/openstack/rabbitmq-server

The OpenStack Distro Team will create a new directory under stx/openstack-armada-app to store all application needed packages.
This will include clients and the stx-openstack Docker images we build only for the application. This way, on stx-openstack build we can build the same packages (name) but using different versions/source code. Manifest does not include upstream repo.

We have discussed it between a small group of people so I would like to bring it to the attention of everyone and let the community speak in case there are any concerns against it and/or to support this change proposal. This work will be done in a couple of phases, progressively moving towards achieving the end goal explained here.

Looking forward for hearing back from you 🙂