[Starlingx-discuss] Community Communication Channels

Ildiko Vancsa ildiko at openinfra.dev
Thu Jun 22 17:53:54 UTC 2023

Hi StarlingX Community,

I’m reaching out to you about a recurring topic that came up during the PTG last week again.

While the community is actively using the mailing list, it is not always the best platform, as it doesn’t allow for more synchronous chat. Contributors at the event had a growing interest in finding a way to provide the opportunity for more synchronous communication to capture the project teams’ chatters, and enable newcomers to reach out and start to participate.

Challenges:
  * Tooling: People raised that while it is an open protocol, IRC still doesn’t feel inclusive due to its simplicity.
  * Format: The current one-channel setup doesn’t feel efficient and comfortable, since people need to address everyone in the channel with every topic they have a question or comment about.

Proposal to move forward:
  * Tooling: The preferred tool in last week’s conversation was Matrix - https://matrix.org
    - It is an open tool, which ensures continued access to the platform and its features
    - It is more modern than IRC

  * Format: The idea came up to create multiple channels for the StarlingX project
    - We can keep the all-community channel
    - We can create channels for each project team, that are more topic specific
    - We also have the option to create a channel for newcomers, which could include troubleshooting type of conversations as well

In order to identify next steps, please share your feedback about the proposal above. Ie: What do you think about Matrix? Would you be more comfortable using a chat tool with the more fine grained configuration of having multiple channels?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ildikó

———

Ildikó Váncsa