[Starlingx-discuss] New build story

Jones, Bruce E bruce.e.jones at intel.com
Fri Aug 3 23:23:05 UTC 2018

Here is yet another update on this topic.

At our F2F meeting yesterday we agreed on a 3 step plan for addressing the build issues.

Our short term solution is the story defined below.  We want to change the build to allow each company (and maybe different geos within companies) to create a shared mirror.  And change the build scripts to allow them to pick up and use that mirror.  As soon as possible.

Our medium term solution is to follow up on the idea suggested by Brent yesterday to create a build system where most of the RPM versions float.  Only those RPMs we patch or modify need to be tied to specific versions.

Long term, we are continuing to investigate options for hosting build artifacts for the project.  There are many options that we will be reviewing with our executives for feedback and approval.

Meanwhile, I'm very happy to hear that the Build team is already at work on the medium term solution, and I ask that they re-focus a bit on the short term solution so we can all get unblocked.

        brucej