[Starlingx-discuss] Delete snapshot and volume

Michel Thebeau michel.thebeau at windriver.com
Wed Oct 17 16:22:29 UTC 2018

Hi Juan Carlos,

I had inquired internally at WR.

My current understanding is that one does not "launch an instance from a
volume snapshot", except in the form presented by Horizon interface.  In
that case, the behaviour of Horizon form is to create a volume from
volume snapshot and launch the instance from the new volume.

In your email you listed CLI commands and the command you listed showed
that you launched the instance from volume, not from volume snapshot.
So there's no reason to believe the volume snapshot should be locked
from deletion.

Moreover, it doesn't make sense for an instance to run from a volume
snapshot - that's not what a  snapshot is.  The snapshot itself should
be a static thing.  You could probably have used the "openstack volume
create --snapshot ..." command option to create a volume from volume
snapshot, and then launch an instance from the new volume.  The volume
snapshot in this case would not be locked from deletion, neither the
original volume from which the snapshot was based, but only the new
volume you created.

I hope this information is accurate and helpful  :)  I'll forward the
response to the guys I inquired with, and they can correct me here if
anything I wrote is amiss.