[Starlingx-discuss] Community Call (Dec 11, 2019)

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 17:14:54 UTC 2019

On 12/11/19 10:43 AM, Zvonar, Bill wrote:
>   - IRC
>       - why aren't we using it much?
>       - meetbot?
>       - Slack users guide to IRC clients?
>       - depends on which client you use - Ildiko uses IRC Cloud

A quick follow-up on this:

* OpenStack has a guide to setting up IRC in their Contributor's
Guide[0] and a short overview of IRC use[1] that includes a couple of
links to resources like the IRC logs[2] and conventions.  Note that all
OpenDev (née OpenStack Infra) managed channels require registered
nicknames[3] to join.

* IRCCloud[4] is the web-based client Ildiko mentioned.  Some of us use
Pidgin on Linux and/or Adium on OS/X for graphical clients.  There are
many other clients, many people stick to pure text-mode and use weechat
or irssi in a screen or tmux session as mentioned in the doc above.

* OpenDev operates MeetBot[5] in a number of channels
(#openstack-meeting*) to assist in summarizing meetings in the logs.  If
we think it would be useful to have in #starlingx that can be arranged.

dt

[0] https://docs.openstack.org/contributors/common/irc.html
[1] https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/irc.html, additional IRC
operations are documented in