[Starlingx-discuss] Etherpad reconnects

Ildiko Vancsa ildiko.vancsa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 18:11:14 UTC 2021

Hi,

I had a chat with the OpenDev team on the #opendev IRC channel[1] about the IRC challenges a couple of you are facing.

I learned about the following things that can cause etherpad to trigger a reconnect:
* The supported browsers are Chrome and Firefox! (In other browsers it will face issues that can force you to reconnect the pad frequently)
* Having multiple instances open in the same browser (even if it is in separate browser windows!)
* Network issues
  * Etherpad cannot handle network issues and flaky connections, if it gets out of sync it will force you to reconnect
  * You can try to have the etherpad open in two different browsers and see if they both get disconnected at the same time which could prove the network issue on your end

If you experience an issue despite of eliminating all the factors listed above please reach out to the OpenDev team directly. You can do that on their IRC channel #opendev on OFTC or on their mailing list: service-discuss at lists.opendev.org (subscribe here: http://lists.opendev.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/service-discuss)

The OpenDev team has limited resources therefore the more information you have about the issue is the better to be able to debug the problem. You can also see if there’s someone around on their IRC channel at the time when your reconnects happen that way they can help you debug by checking the errors on the server side. It is hard to do retrospectively due to how etherpad creates its log entries.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can help with anything further.

Thanks,
Ildikó

[1] https://meetings.opendev.org/irclogs/%23opendev/%23opendev.2021-07-14.log.html#t2021-07-14T16:19:54