[Starlingx-discuss] StarlingX App Deployment and Demo

Waines, Greg Greg.Waines at windriver.com
Thu Sep 7 11:49:26 UTC 2023

Hey Bruno,

Thanks for putting this together.

Just some initial high-level comments:

  *   your high-level objective appears to be more about end user’s wanting to run and manage their applications on StarlingX
     *   ( i.e. not about a StarlingX Community member wanting to contribute the integration of a containerized application into the StarlingX solution )
  *
  *   For end-users wanting to run and manage their applications on StarlingX
     *   I think it is very important to stress that you can package, run and manage your application on StarlingX with either
        *   Helm
        *   FluxCD
        *   StarlingX Application
     *   we do NOT want a StarlingX end user to think that they “HAVE” to re-package their application in the StarlingX Application Packaging and manage their application with StarlingX APIs, in order to run their application on StarlingX
     *   we want to  make sure that a StarlingX end user who has a HELM packaging of their application that they have developed on vanilla K8S,
knows that he can simply run it and manage it (UNMODIFIED) on StarlingX.
  *   HELM is the ‘standard’ application package manage for K8S … so need to make sure users know they can package, run and manage their applications on StarlingX with HELM
  *   FluxCD provides additional application packaging/management capabilities over and above HELM … that again is standard/open
     *   would be good to highlight what are these additional capabilities, and
     *   are they all supported on StarlingX’s deployment of FluxCD.
  *   StarlingX Application provides additional application packaging/management capabilities over and above FluxCD … mostly around custom integration with StarlingX infrastructure management itself.
     *   would be good to highlight/describe these additional capabilities / additional integration points
     *   i.e. if I was a user that already had a HELM or FluxCD packaging of my application, why would I want to consider re-packaging it as a StarlingX Application ?

Greg.