[Starlingx-discuss] Creating new packages for Initialization / Configuration files

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Wed Aug 15 23:53:49 UTC 2018

Folks,

As I have been scanning through the various patches that are maintained
in the stx-integ and other repos, I think we have a couple of classes:

Source level changes in the form of patches, these need to be fully
understood and upstreamed where possible.

Build configuration changes, typically autoconf style of settings.

Then there are the System level changes on a per package basis these are
the ones that I want move to alternative mechanisms where possible such
that it will allow us to reduce building the source rpm. The types of
changes here are:

User / Group Creation
New configuration files
New services
Updated configuration files
Modify services
Overwrite default (for example: /etc/issue*)

As mentioned below, we can take a couple of different approaches, %post
in a new rpm, kickstart files for anaconda, or puppet.  I would prefer
not to get locked into puppet or even full anaconda kickstart as we
start to think about how to handle MultiOS solutions.

I believe that most of the above changes need to be applied during the
initial installation of the OS and Openstack, in order to ensure first
boot proceeds and allows all the middleware to run correct and complete
any initialization that's required on first boot.

We are continuing with the analysis of patches in the master
spreadsheet, focusing on the stx-integ repo to start with.

Sau!