[Starlingx-discuss] Decoupling spec and makefiles

Cordoba Malibran, Erich erich.cordoba.malibran at intel.com
Tue Aug 28 16:00:57 UTC 2018

Hi all,

After building all the C/C++ projects by hand (isolated from the build
system), I noticed that there's a direct dependency between the spec
files and the makefiles.

For example, on fm-common some files are installed in the
install_non_bb target[1] (some yocto legacy name?), but two additional
files are installed by the spec file[2]. There is another example, like
this one on guest-comm[3] where all the files are installed by the spec
file and not by the makefile.

This is understandable as building these components outside the build
system is not the common use case. However, decoupling the spec files
and the makefile will be one of the first steps on the multi-OS support
path.

Fixing this issues is a low priority task but we would like to start
planning to fix it, what do you think it would be the best way to track
this issues in launchpad? Can we create an issue by repository or by
project?

Thank you in advance.

-Erich

[1] - http://git.starlingx.io/cgit/stx-fault/tree/fm-common/sources/Makefile#n28