[Starlingx-discuss] FW: Sanity Test - ISO 20181211

Cordoba Malibran, Erich erich.cordoba.malibran at intel.com
Thu Dec 13 17:35:04 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-12-13 at 11:13 -0600, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 8:02 AM Cesar Lara <cesarlarag at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Not entirely true, StarlingX has an update service so you can
> > upgrade your deployment at any given time, I suggest you follow the
> > stx-update project to get an idea of how that works.
>
> I do not think that the process of creating update/upgrade packages
> is
> documented publicly yet.  This service uses specifically built files
> for this purpose, it does not use a later ISO build.
>
> >  If you have a deployment based on the latest stable release you
> > are good to go. These daily builds are getting patches and code for
> > features that are not ready for production nor fully tested until
> > the next release cycle. We are basically fixing bugs being
> > introduced as part of the normal development process.
>
> As I understand the process, updates to the internal package repo
> need
> to be loaded onto the controller, then those updates can be schedules
> out to the various nodes.  It is the creation of those updates that I
> think we are missing here.  I am not aware of a documented way to
> take
> a later ISO and apply that directly to achieve the same result.

We don't have a way to provide updates for the people that already
installed a StarlingX instance. I would recommend to use the r/2018.10
ISO, the master branch is on heavy development and prone to bugs.

However, if we want to fix it, I think we need to :

1) Provide the packages with updates: we should pay special attention
into versioning of every package.
2) Find a way to install the updates and download them to be served
into the additional controllers and computes. (not sure if this is what
stx-update does)