[Starlingx-discuss] Deployment Improvements Proposal

Peters, Matt Matt.Peters at windriver.com
Fri Dec 14 13:43:00 UTC 2018

See inline.

From: "Hu, Yong" <yong.hu at intel.com>
Date: Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 7:49 PM
To: "Peters, Matt" <Matt.Peters at windriver.com>, "starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io" <starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io>
Subject: Re: [Starlingx-discuss] Deployment Improvements Proposal

Hi Matt,
How will this improvement proposal impact those configurations done by puppet?
MP> There will be some changes impacting the puppet manifests performed during the initial bootstrap phase (initial controller host), but there are no specific impacts to the use of Puppet for the rest of the configuration management.

As well, as to the proposal of system inventory improvement, you mentioned other BM attributes (Type, IP address, Credentials).
MP> These attributes are existing.  The change in behavior is to support identifying the host hardware based on inventory gathered from the BMC rather than needing the operator to specify the boot interface MAC address explicitelty.

Do we expect something more than PXEboot setting done in BIOS on the host in advance?
MP> Nothing is planned at this time.

Regards,
Yong