[Starlingx-discuss] Proposal: Basic development guidelines / rules

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:27:40 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 1:33 PM, Jolliffe, Ian
<Ian.Jolliffe at windriver.com> wrote:
> On 2018-06-15, 3:32 PM, "Jones, Bruce E" <bruce.e.jones at intel.com> wrote:
>     Rule 1: We will follow all the usual open source and OpenStack conventions
>
> IJ >> I would recommend we add some references.  Did you have some in mind?

I've been saying we would fall back to OpenStack as a default in the
absence of anything overriding.  As we build our doc set adding
references for things that both override or confirm those defaults
would be useful.

>     Rule 2: Code submissions should do one thing.  Larger efforts should be divided into multiple submissions.
>
> IJ >> I could interpret this as a single function - isn't rule 3 sufficient and also, rule 1 or 7 should cover this.  I suggest we remove and or combine with another line.

I think this is a distinct idea.  A short review that does two things
should be split.  In the case of the upstream repos I will probably be
noisy about this because of having to upstream things individually
anyway.

>     Rule 4: Code submissions shall have a signed-off-by line.  This is a strict requirement.
>
> IJ >> I have done this in other projects, however, by using Gerrit we have the author and committer already noted.  Does this not create confusion/duplication?  Where would this signed-off-by line go - in the commit message?

"git commit -s" is sufficient.  This requirement comes from the
OpenStack project's intent to drop the CLA requirement in favor of
DCO, and it seems like a simple thing to do from the start even if we
don't have the same legal restrictions (I don't know if we do or not).
LF was going to require it and enforce in Gerrit, we have that option
if we want to use it.

>     Rule 6: Code submissions for bug fixes can be posted to gerrit when ready
>
>  IJ >> do we need a pointer/reference to a bug workflow?  Openstack is moving toward Storyboard.

We are using only Storyboard where there is no intrinsic distinction
between bugs and features.

>     Rule 7: Code submissions for larger development tasks shall be discussed on the mailing list _prior_ to code submission, to allow for community review and feedback.  Post early and often.  Please review (and test!) each other's code.
>
>  IJ >> this is a good practice and will help us work efficiently.

The one thing I might wiggle on this one is for posting WIP in order
to do the 'review early' bit.  If that is already inferred here for
others great, I didn't read it that way.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com