[Starlingx-discuss] Propose OpenStack/Apmec to StarlingX like an upstream component

Tung Doan doantungbk.203 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 12:43:58 UTC 2018

Hi StarlingX team,

I am Tung Doan - An OpenStack contributor and the PTL of OpenStack/Apmec
project. Since we acknowledged the potential integration between Apmec and
StarlingX, I am writing this email to propose adding OpenStack/Apmec to
StarlingX like an upstream project.

Project description: OpenStack Apmec [1] stands for the Automated
Provisioning Framework for Multi-access Edge Computing which is the first
orchestration and management framework dedicated to the MEC services in
OpenStack. Below are some of the outstanding features of Apmec project:

- Apmec is partly designed following the ETSI MEC standard [2] with the
great support from industries. The detailed design of Apmec is elaborated
in [3].

- Apmec allows for the automated provisioning of the MEC services under the
joint orchestration with NFV MANO frameworks [4]. In our design, the NFV
MANO frameworks (such as ONAP or OSM) take care of complex network
functions while Apmec is dedicated to the MEC applications (AR/VR, tactile
engine support, traffic tracking,...). We planned to support multi-MANO
feature [5] which opens up the opportunities to cooperate with the existing
MANO frameworks for the delivery of the MEC services. For the
implementation, Apmec is currently integrated with Tacker [6] which is NFV
MANO framework in OpenStack.

- Apmec is the MEC framework which designs a rich modeling language for MEC
applications and services following the design of Topology and
Orchestration Specification for Cloud Application (TOSCA) [7]. Such a
feature was implemented in [8].

- Apmec leveraged the existing OpenStack projects to validate the
description of the MEC applications and services (using OpenStack Tosca
Parser) and translate them (using OpenStack Heat Translator)  to OpenStack
resources.

- Since computing resources at MEC are limited, we designed a heuristic
algorithm that allows for MEC service providers to save their hardware
resources.

When integrated with Apmec, StarlingX will greatly benefit from:

- no need to take care of the NFV functionalities. Since existing NFV MANO
frameworks (Tacker, ONAP, OSM, OpenBaton,...) are diverse, integrating them
can make StarlingX complicated. Apmec was designed to take over
responsibility for integrating them since the delivery of MEC services is
our critical mission.

 - no need to take care of the life-cycle management of the MEC
applications. Apmec offers API to help StarlingX perform this function.  As
mentioned earlier, Apmec is OpenStack project, therefore, to provide
low-latency for MEC applications,  Apmec is also planned to support
acceleration technologies (e.g, integrated with OpenStack Cyborg) such as
DPDK and FPGA.

[1] https://github.com/openstack/apmec
[2]
https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_gs/MEC/001_099/003/01.01.01_60/gs_MEC003v010101p.pdf
[3] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1805.09251.pdf
[4]
https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_gs/NFV-MAN/001_099/001/01.01.01_60/gs_NFV-MAN001v010101p.pdf
[5] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/apmec/+spec/multi-mano
[6] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Tacker
[7] https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=tosca
[8] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/570797/

--
Name: Doan Van Tung
Email: van_tung.doan at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
A member of 5G Lab Germany
*Deutsche Telekom Chair of Communication Networks (ComNets)*

*Würzburger Str. 35, 01187 Dresden*

*TU Dresden, Germany*