[Starlingx-discuss] Propose OpenStack/Apmec to StarlingX like an upstream component

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 17:16:18 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 7:44 AM Tung Doan <doantungbk.203 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am Tung Doan - An OpenStack contributor and the PTL of OpenStack/Apmec project. Since we acknowledged the potential integration between Apmec and StarlingX, I am writing this email to propose adding OpenStack/Apmec to StarlingX like an upstream project.
>
> Project description: OpenStack Apmec [1] stands for the Automated Provisioning Framework for Multi-access Edge Computing which is the first orchestration and management framework dedicated to the MEC services in OpenStack. Below are some of the outstanding features of Apmec project:

I believe Apmec is not an official OpenStack project (as listed in
[0]), do you have plans to apply to become an official OpenStack
project under TC governance?  (Until then you do need to be careful
about referring to Apmec as 'an OpenStack project', it is hosted by
OpenStack, but is not (yet?) an OpenStack project.)

> - no need to take care of the NFV functionalities. Since existing NFV MANO frameworks (Tacker, ONAP, OSM, OpenBaton,...) are diverse, integrating them can make StarlingX complicated. Apmec was designed to take over responsibility for integrating them since the delivery of MEC services is our critical mission.

Is this replacing existing StarlingX functionality?

>  - no need to take care of the life-cycle management of the MEC applications. Apmec offers API to help StarlingX perform this function.  As mentioned earlier, Apmec is OpenStack project, therefore, to provide low-latency for MEC applications,  Apmec is also planned to support acceleration technologies (e.g, integrated with OpenStack Cyborg) such as DPDK and FPGA.

Can you get more specific about what the integration with StarlingX looks like?

dt

[0] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/projects/index.html

--

Dean Troyer