[Starlingx-discuss] [Build] Question about meta_patches

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 14:44:47 UTC 2018

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:48 AM Scott Little <scott.little at windriver.com> wrote:

> Not just the spec file, but any other files not in the upstream
> tarball.  E.g. centos specific config files.
>
> 1) It works for srpms from all sources.  Including those that don't
> publish a git of their spec files and other meta-data.
>
> 2) It yields a very clean boundary between what was 'ours' and what was
> 'others'.  Made the lawyers happy.
>
> 3) Before we switched to the 'repo' tools, we had to keep all repos
> using a common branch name.  This created a strong incentive to keep the
> number of gits to a minimum.
>

> On 18-11-01 07:01 PM, Cordoba Malibran, Erich wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As I understand, the meta_patches are patches that are applied to the
> > specfiles for projects where a SRPM is downloaded. This process is
> > something like:
> >
> >   - Unpack srpm
> >   - Apply patches to the <project>.spec file. Most of this patches are
> > just modifications to add source code patches.
> >   - Create a new srpm with the source, the modified specfile and
> > additional patches that will be applied on build time.
> >
> > So, having this process, I'm wondering in the need of having the
> > meta_patches instead in just one <project>.spec checked in the
> > repository.
> >
> > Also, I'm trying to understand the rationale behind these meta_patches.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > -Erich

HI

I am new to the project and i would like to ask some basic questions
related to this topic from what i have seen in other projects:

a) I love the idea of having one git repository per project where the
spec files , sources , patches and more could live (something that we
discuss last week with Erich) . In the long/short future if we support
other OS based on deb files we could have a directory : rpms_base and
deb_baase. However i would like to ear some feedback ( pros and cons )
from the STX community

What to do after this is open to the community many tools to build
from a single git repository are living today out in the opensource (
koji / obs/ you name it )

But before that ( and in a separate mail ) i would like to hear the
feedback about this idea

Regards

Victor Rodriguez