[Starlingx-discuss] Notes: Weekly StarlingX non-OpenStack Distro meeting, 11/28

Xie, Cindy cindy.xie at intel.com
Wed Nov 28 14:53:19 UTC 2018

Agenda & Notes for 11/28 meeting:
    1. Kernel upgrade to 4.19 (LTS) feasibility discussion (Saul/Victor) - will skip for today
    2. kernel driver upgrade testing status update (Ada/Ricardo/Shuicheng)
    Ricardo / Ada: We have recived the ISO image from Shuicheng, we have already installed the borrowe QAT enabled platforms, the installation was successful, and the config controller, however, when we tried to start creating the providernet, an error is shown by the API (HTTP error 500, using CLI commands) using such QAT enabled systems (silver config). The issue seems to be related to such systems, we have installed latest ISO from Shuicheng in our  Wolf Pass servers, both ISO files provided successfully, being able to perform the config controller and provisioning. However we don't have QAT hardware in such Wolf Pass systems. To mitigate this, we get borrowed a PCIe card from another team in GDC, such card is a: Lewis Hill, QAT 8970 Adapter, X16,OEM,S,DUAL-CC - J39967-001, we are going to install such card on our Wolf Pass server and see if it works with the latest ISO provided. If no success, we are going to skip (by now, and until we get the proper QAT ready hardware, such validation), and continue with DRDB.

    3. non-Openstack patch refactoring status (Zhipeng)
    27 tasks for init/config refactoring, 24 tasks finished w/ patches merged. 3 under review.
    117 meta-patches and 32 src patch got removed through the activity. total patches are 156 removed from the upstream srpm packages.
    13 srpm packages can be replaced by rpm packages instead.

    4. non-Openstack source patch upstream study (Saul)
    nothing new - still working on study and making stories for each of them.

    5. Python2to3 non-Openstack status (Austin)
        Austin :5.1 which python3 should be target, AR: Austin to check w/ Dean about how Openstack community handle Python3 version.
        current StarlingX status for the 3rd party OS packages:
       1)   313 packages are compatible for python 2 and 3
       2)   28 packages are need upgrade  or need replacement package.
       3)   35 packages are low risk since some small python code included -----> we might add more patch. high level guiance is that we do not want to add more patches on those upstream packages. Need to have solution as well.

    Some other topic need to consider and discuss :
       1) which python3 will be target ?  3.5 or 3.6 ,  from Openstack community , it seems Openstack does not fully support python 3.6 yet.
       2)  we have to some more task to work , in some component , the "C" or other language  will call python2 head files.  We did not consider such situation before.
       For example stx-fault/fm-common/sources/fm_python_mod_main.cpp, #include <python2.7/Python.h> .

    6. Qemu 3.0 upgrade (Ghada/Jim)
    addressed all tecnical issues related to qemu 3.0 upgrade. all regression tests success. will work on submission the patches. Needs to push the branch to staging first.
    IBRS issue depends on qemu upgrade: Austin can work w/ the qemu 3.0 branch to validate the bug can be resolved w/ qemu 3.0. new feature documented in qemu release notes.

    7. Ceph upgrade status (Vivian/Dehao)
    Dehao: 6 patches about ceph upgrade and under review now. 4 patches to starlingx - scott is reviewing them. other 2 patches under staging (stx-ceph), Dean is reviewing them. Needs to break down into small patches.
    Changcheng: for the 42 ceph patch rebase: 14/42 can be abandon; 28 patches will be split to 38 patches. Needs to do validation against Ceph 13.2 environment.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bug/1804412, bug cannot be reproduced and can be closed. (during mirror download, missing packages are downloaded manually). mem limitation: needs to have workaround for low mem system. No patch has been submitted to the build scripts.  1st item has been covered in build project; and Yong can bring the WR to Erich for 2nd issues (low mem system).
    Changcheng's patch is depends on Ceph spec patches that Dehao is working on. PR pending on stx-ceph on staging.

    8. DevStack flocks plug-in status (Erick/Mingyuan/Yi/Dean)
    stx-metal devstack plug-in patches pending for review. Service can be started w/ the patch;
    stx-nfv plug-in, Erick already patch merged for stx-nfv services installation. Yi is working on start those services. patch is WIP to config the services correctly.
    stx-ha is pending review, check w/ Erick.

    9. Opens (all)