[Starlingx-discuss] r/2018.10 branch merges complete

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 21:12:05 UTC 2018

[Grrr... gmail changed on me this weekend and the new quoting looks
like crap...sorry]

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 3:52 PM Penney, Don <Don.Penney at windriver.com> wrote:
> The process I've followed here for the backport, partly due to waiting for Zuul to process the original review, is:
> - Cloned r/2018.10
> - Cherry-picked the original review, using the cmd provided by Gerrit:
> - Build a load (in progress)
> - Re-test

This sounds fine.  You could even run it through the check pipeline
while waiting.  The flow you mention below is also good (cp in the web
ui).  FWIW I usually do what you did above mostly because I want to
run the tests locally first.

> In this particular case, the change is small enough (and the difference between master and r/2018.10 is minimal at this point) that I'd feel comfortable with a straight cherry-pick. For other changes, I think the build and retest steps would be important. I suppose I could have used the "cherry-pick" button on Gerrit and then downloaded that update into my repo for the testing, setting workflow to -1 while I complete testing, but I thought I should wait until the update had been merged, based on your original email.

The practice in OpenStack has been to wait for the review on master to
merge.  This is in part because it was a different group that
ultimately approved stable backports, this is no longer necessarily
true for many projects.

We can decide how strict to be on that matter, I would suggest that we
be reasonably sure that it will merge on master before +W on the
backport.  This case sounds pretty safe as you say but unless there is
a reason to be in a hurry

> Side note: After 1h42, Zuul has passed the "check" and is running the "gate". So it will likely be merged very shortly.

Zuul does seem to be doing better so far this week.



Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com

More information about the Starlingx-discuss mailing list