[Starlingx-discuss] Patch to support different address witdhs in DPDK

Cordoba Malibran, Erich erich.cordoba.malibran at intel.com
Wed Oct 10 20:12:59 UTC 2018

Hi all,

This bug[1] was failing (simplex in the baremetal case) because the
/etc/init.d/compute_config was unable to configure the compute causing
a "degraded" state and nova-compute to be disabled.

While running the compute_config script a lot of kernel messages like
this appeared:

DMAR: intel_iommu_map: iommu width (39) is not sufficient for the
mapped address (7fbdc0000000)

It turns out that this is a known issue in DPDK[2] and a patch is
available[3]. I applied this patch into the openvswitch package and
then we were able to solve the problem.

My question is, what would be the best way to handle this patch?

 - Should we patch our openvswitch package? : we get openvswitch from
centos and that version doesn't include this patch. We can apply this
patch here and wait for an upgrade in upstream to remove it.
 - Should be look for a newer openvswitch version? We could look for a
newer version but this one won't be a centos standard version.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance

-Erich

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bug/1796420