[Starlingx-discuss] Ceph upgrading and rebasing

Poncea, Ovidiu Ovidiu.Poncea at windriver.com
Tue Sep 25 10:03:31 UTC 2018

Hi Lisa,

See inline.

Ovidiu

________________________________
From: Li, Xiaoyan [xiaoyan.li at intel.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 11:22 AM
To: starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io
Subject: [Starlingx-discuss] Ceph upgrading and rebasing

Hi,
We are going to upgrade Ceph to 13.2.0. We need to rebase the updated commits in StarlingX on Ceph 13.2.0.

We have concerns about the folder wrs. Why do we have this folder? What does it do? [Ovi] Custom config files needed by stx used by the spec.

  1.  Why need to have *.service? Seems Ceph has provided such functions. [Ovi] Before systemd, titanium had init scripts which we still use. This was our wrapper to make them work with systemd. Since then ceph added its own, it may be worth to get rid of it and update to the pne in ceph.
  2.  Ceph.conf: What is this config for? [Ovi] To my knowledge this is the default ceph.conf file used when ceph is enabled. Other config options are appended by puppet to this default (e.g. osd's, mons etc.).
  3.  Ceph_pmon_wrapper.sh: where will this script be used? [Ovi] This is used by pmon (ceph is pmon mananged) to check the state of ceph services, restart them if they fail or hang. See inside ceph.conf.pmon. The ceph_pmon_wrapper.sh is also related to changes in init-ceph.in (see "WRS: Check if a ceph process is hung" section).
  4.  osd-wait-status.py: where does the script be used? [Ovi] It's no longer used, it should be removed (we used it in the past to wait for OSDs to shutdown before marking a host as "locked" - now mtc+pmon takes cares of it correctly). References to it should also be removed from init-ceph.in.

And also there are lots of changes related to ceph.spec. Any change explanation/history about these changes? [Ovi] Ask Dean Troyer, he did the original push and should have access to the previous commits.

Best wishes
Lisa