[Starlingx-discuss] Performance Footprint Metrics phase 0 (update)

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 19:24:21 UTC 2019

Hi STX team

This is the follow-up mail to share with the community the test case
presented yesterday on the community call meeting. This test case responds
to phase 0 on our goal to have a test framework (using existing tools ) to
measure performance metrics on StarlingX project.

This very basic script only has the scope o measure the footprint of STX
host system ( users can decide if it is a controller or a node )

This test case was presented yesterday, here are the slides:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nr12zDRXf34kpjiA0LsFLU8GIpMY8Y-H2zmiC96CD4A

The source code of the test has been updated in tools-contrib repository:

https://github.com/starlingx-staging/tools-contrib

The list of TODO things for this test case ( and framework ) is here:

Please feel free to add as many requests as we have as a community.
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx_performance_feedback

This test case also add the tools to save the data recorded on an InfluxDB
database

The way to run this script as described on the README is:

python metrics.py

Details of elapsed time and sampling time are described in README as well

By default the script does not send any data, only print on the console the
values:

Example Output:
https://gist.github.com/VictorRodriguez/b9260ad223b176c323363ac06d0afdde

If we want to send the data to an influxDB:

python metrics.py --send_data

Will send data to the InlfuxDB server configured in the file:

$ server.conf
INFLUX_SERVER=<yoruservername or localhost if is the same as the system
under test>
INFLUX_PORT=PORT
INFLUX_PASS=PASS
INFLUX_USER=USER
DB_NAME=starlingx

Since yesterday meeting I left the script running on my ubuntu machine and
here are the metrics of DB size:

Size in data points per table:

name: boottime
time count count_1 count_2
---- ----- ------- -------
0 1571

name: cpu_footprint
time count count_1 count_2
---- ----- ------- -------
0 1562

name: hd_footprint
time count count_1 count_2
---- ----- ------- -------
0 3132

name: memory_footprint
time count count_1 count_2
---- ----- ------- -------
0 3132

Size in HD:
du -sh /var/lib/influxdb/data/starlingx/
28K /var/lib/influxdb/data/starlingx/

As we can see in a total of 7827 data points we are only using 28K of the
HD ( not much )

Curtis and will be working on the set up of this infrastructure on packet
infra, as soon as we have information we will let you know.

This perf framework is designed with the idea that anyone can use it to
track their version of STX that you prefer. If you have any question how to
set up on your infra please let me know

Regards

Victor Rodriguez