[Starlingx-discuss] How to update an installed image

Wensley, Barton Barton.Wensley at windriver.com
Wed Apr 24 12:50:43 UTC 2019

Victor,

StarlingX has two mechanisms for updating software on a running system:
- updates (also known as patching): This allows the user to build an updated version of a set of RPMs, bundle them into a patch file and apply them to a running system. We are also working on an update mechanism for containerized applications, which will allow new versions the docker images for an application to be deployed to a running system.
- upgrades: This allows the user to upgrade a running system from one StarlingX release to the next, including the OS, RPMs and applications. This mechanism will only be supported when moving between StarlingX releases - any fixes delivered to an existing release will use the update mechanism.

The update mechanism would be used to deliver a CVE fix (as per your example) to a running system.

Bart