[Starlingx-discuss] [MultiOS] How to deploy STX in other linux systems?

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 16:03:03 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 7:09 AM Xie, Cindy <cindy.xie at intel.com> wrote:

> I don't think you can do so - StarlingX flocks services needs a lot of configurations before it can be started, so just install flocks DEB files built out by ourselves cannot work. A demo is possible by using Devstack to launch those services. I believe to make StarlingX fully functional is a project deserves more planning and digesting still. This is a good PTG topics and please have Shuquan to raise it in TSC as well.
>
> Thx. - cindy

Hi Kunpeng

My comments inline:

> I am very glad to receive your replies. We have the requirements to deploy STX in other linux systems. For this work, I think deployment on Ubuntu is the best start to understand the flow of starlingx installation. I hope I can do something for multi-os and I am trying to follow in your footsteps.

I am really glad to hear this, I am happy that all the work we have
done to enable the multi os on ubuntu will be useful for you and your
costumer.
Please take the time to play witht the build sysmte we have and rise
concerns and bugs on our current multi OS buidl system.

> Otherwise, I find your goal is to build DEB files and finally create an iso.

So far yes

If a clear ubuntu system have been installed in server, how can I to
deploy starlingx for test or development? Is it right to install these
DEB file by hand?

Ok here comes an improtant part that makes starling x project special.
We dont only have DEBs or RPMs that coudl be installed a running Linux
system. We have the following components to consider :

-> Installer ( during hte installation of the ISO you decide what
configuration do you want ) that is hard ( not imnpossible ) to
configure from a simple apt-get install
-> Config controller: As described in [0] the script is used to
configure the first controller in the StarlingX cluster as
controller-0. The prompts are grouped by configuration area.  We are
still on the exploratory face on how to deal with this
-> Runtime Dependencies: Trying to answering your question, Is it
right to install these DEB files by hand ? yes and no, if you install
one package of the flock service,  it might ask for more as a runtime
dependency. a solution could be to set up an STX deb repository
accessible to your cloud system where apt can resolve the runtime
dependencies previously compiled ( we also have to solve the build
time dependencies, working hard on that ). That is for the flocks,
there are other patches to host packages like Nova, Keystone and
others that might need to be reinstalled (among them, the kernel with
the extra patches described on the README I share with you ) on your
Ubuntu host system. being completely honest with you are working on
that as fast as we can trying to solve all these parts.

Now this is only for a simplex all in one configuration, which is the
scope for now of our POC, for a multi-node, multi-controller solution
we have to deal with other problems ( one problem at the time )

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StarlingX/Installation_Guide_Virtual_Environment/Controller_Storage

Regarding the use of devstack for this, I will recommend you to sync
with Dean, but as a general rule and as Cindy mention, Devstack is not
for production just for demo and as far as I know, the work done so
far to make the flock part of devstack is not functional yet. But
please double check with Dean.

In the meantime, any help on this TODO list is more than welcome. I
will send a mail latter to encourage the community and TSC to make
this project part of the official STX plan and no longer a POC.

Happy to help

Regards

Victor Rodriguez